What is the PAST Program and how can it help?
The PAST Program - Prevention, Assessment, Support and Treatment - is a program we deliver that is focused on children and young peopled, aged 17 years and under, who are displaying Harmful Sexual Behaviour. The PAST Program operates state-wide and has two streams:
- Therapeutic intervention, assessment and case management - delivered in collaboration with Mission Australia
- Training for schools, educators and professionals
What is harmful sexual behaviour?
Sexual behaviours displayed by young people that are inappropriate for their age or stage of development, or cause harm to themselves or others, are referred to as harmful sexual behaviours (HSB). HSB can range from inappropriate and problematic, through to abusive and violent behaviour.
Therapeutic intervention, assessments and case management for individuals displaying HSB
Our PAST team administers a comprehensive, evidence based, trauma-informed assessment, to develop an intervention that is tailored to the child/young person’s needs.
We work in conjunction with Mission Australia who provide holistic support to families to best facilitate the therapeutic support offered by SASS. Together we conduct risk assessments, safety planning and case management where necessary.
Our program centres around:
- Individual interventions tailored to specific needs
- Creating safety and security
- Sex education and developing healthy relationships
- Holistic approach – working with family, carers and significant others connected to the young person
- A multidisciplinary approach in collaboration with Mission Australia who:
- offer case coordination
- act as lead contacts for all services working with a family, making relevant referrals, arranging and engaging in care team meetings
- provide direct support to families through outreach visits and phone support, collaborating with both the families and SASS to identify any unmet needs and find appropriate services to fill identified gap
- liaise directly with young people to facilitate SASS and other service engagement
SASS can also provide Secondary Consults as requested. As with all of SASS' work, safeguarding of children is paramount.
We are currently accepting referrals into this free program for children and young people aged up to and including 17 years. Referrals can be made by anyone including professionals, parents/carers or the young person themselves.
To inquire about this service please contact us on (03) 6231 0044 or via email email@example.com. You can also access further information by downloading our flyer (below).
Training programs for schools, educators and organisations
Our PAST Educators deliver group training for:
- Schools (year 3 to 12)
- School and Early Childhood Educators
- Professionals, community organisations, businesses and government agencies that deliver support services for children and young people.
PAST Training is provided to eligible individuals and organisations under the funding grant from the Department of Communities Tasmania and is therefore offered at no charge. The training workshops are offered statewide, and in order to ensure equitable access across sectors and organisations they are offered by invitation.*
If you would like to find out more about PAST Training workshops, please contact us on @email
* If you would like us to deliver one of these seminars for your entire organisation/team, or if your organisation is not eligible for government funded places, please talk to us about our fee for service packages.