In July 2018, the Commonwealth Government established a National Redress Scheme to provide support to people who experienced sexual abuse as children while in care of an institution. The Redress Scheme was developed based on the recommendations from the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse.
The Redress Scheme is one way state and territory Governments, churches, charities and other non-government organisations provide acknowledgement and support to people who experienced institutional child sexual abuse.
You can find more information about the National Redress Scheme on the official website here
The National Redress Scheme commenced on 1 July 2018 and will run for 10 years. The Redress Scheme is an alternative to seeking compensation through the courts. As of 1 November 2018 the Tasmanian Government has officially joined the Scheme, so people living in Tasmania can now access redress.
SASS has been funded to provide state wide support to people seeking information about, contemplating applying to or already applying to the National Redress Scheme. Redress Support Services are available for people who experienced sexual abuse as children (under the age of 18 years) in institutional contexts before the commencement of the Redress Scheme on 1 July 2018.
SASS Redress Scheme Support Service is a free and confidential support service for people who are seeking information on or wanting to apply to the National Redress Scheme.
As a National Redress Scheme Support Service SASS can provide:
- practical support
- information about the Redress Scheme
- information on who is eligible for the Redress Scheme
- assistance to complete the Scheme’s application form and support through the application process
- explanation on what to expect through the application process
- assistance to access other appropriate services such as legal and financial counselling or other community services
- emotional support
- safe environment to engage with the National Redress Scheme
- brief counselling, case management
- sensitive, experienced male and female practitioners to provide support throughout the process
Redress Support Service locations
SASS delivers Redress Support services from the following locations around Tasmania:
Northern Tasmania and the North West Coast
- SASS has a Redress Support Service Counsellor based in Burnie (contact 03 6231 0044 or 0437 375 284) who delivers services to Northern Tasmania and the North West Coast.
- SASS has a Redress Support Service Counsellor who travels on a fortnightly basis to the East Coast (contact 03 6231 0044)
- SASS has a Redress Support Service Counsellor who travels on a fortnightly basis to the Central Highlands region (contact 03 6231 0044)
- SASS has Redress Support Counsellors based in Hobart, and also has a Redress Support Service Counsellor who travels on a fortnightly basis to Huonville and South (contact 03 6231 0044)
For information, support or to make an appointment, please contact SASS on 6231 0044. Our National Redress Scheme counsellors are available Monday – Friday between 9-5pm. The Redress counsellor will talk with you about your situation, determine what support you need and, if you wish, book an appointment for you or refer you to other appropriate services.